So I have a dilemma - the BF HATES travelling. He finds it to be a waste of money and in general finds locations to all be the same. This is minus Rome - which was filled with talks of gladiators, too much pasta, and gelato.



The problem is I love to explore, I love to see new places, just live in the moment of the location which we visit. None of this appeals to him and it seriously sucks.

We recently had a 'chat' after our weekend trip to Paris for my birthday and in the heat of the moment he said that the trip was no fun at all and he didn't enjoy it - minus seeing the Eiffel Tower - but everything else was a waste. This CRUSHED me, it ruined the memory that we spent the weekend away for my birthday strolling the street of Paris and spending a night in Versailles.

So what do you do when your partner hates to travel and all you want to do is see more of the world? You compromise

Explore locally 

With our time running short in Scotland - I knew we needed to see more of the country. Like a road trip through the highlands, exploring some more Historic Scotland (or HES now) sites, and in general exploring more of Edinburgh (and close by areas).


Make the BIG trips count

The best example I have of this is the trip we are planning to visit Germany and Octoberfest. This is something that the BF will enjoy (beer and more beer) and it is a chance to spend a week of travel exploring Germany. There is something that he looks forward to, thus making this trip something which he will help plan and should enjoy his picks on what to do/where to explore. 

Find friends to explore with

If all else fails - plan a trip with your girls -it'ss an easy way to tell your partner that you are headed off on another adventure and its a way to not feel guilty about not going somewhere with him.

Explore Alone

This brought up the discussion of a 'planned' trip to Lisbon for a conference that I have in June. I thought that this would be the perfect trip to take for our anniversary, somewhere warm and somewhere with a beach. All of this while my portion of the trip being paid for by the university (hopefully). Well after a chat, he doesn't want to go so this will be a solo trip for me. I will explore the streets of Lisbon, swim in the ocean and mark off another country alone. In the end, of course I would love him there, but I also want to explore and see what is out there with no worries of dragging the BF around doing things he doesn't enjoy.

What tips do you have for travelling when your partner doesn't enjoy travel? (Or am I the only person who has this issue?)